Monday, July 13, 2009

Quick update

Hi everyone,

I realize that when I don't post people think things are not going well. For the most part we are all doing fine although I am really tired. Sebastian is over 7 pounds as of a couple of days ago and is gaining weight rapidly (for those who need the measurement in grams he is 3180 grams). I am spending so little time at home as I am at the hospital most of my days. When I do have time I am doing chores and trying to prepare for our little angel to come home. We are guessing that it will be about two - possibly three weeks to him arriving at home.
Breast feeding and bottle feeding are the main issues that are keeping him in the hospital. I arrive at the hospital at 8 am and wait for his feeding times 9 am, 12 am, 3 pm, 6 pm, 9pm and so on in order to offer him some feeding from the breast. So far Sebastian is only awake enough at 3pm and apparently his magic hour is 3 am in the morning when he is fully awake and active. I was going to start making my visits at 3am but have been told by the nurses that I should get sleep when I can. Sebastian does manage to take the bottle when he is sleepy as it is alot less work for him to get the milk from the bottle then the breast. I did not realize how difficult breast feeding was although it is a very natural thing. I guess that is why they have lactation consultants.

Lately I have been going through a phase of being anxious about getting everything ready for him. I think I am starting nesting and my instincts that he is going to be at home sooner then we think.

Thanks everyone for keeping tabs on Sebastian. We both feel really blessed to have so many friends and family caring for our son. I will try to take some pictures this week and post them when possible.

1 comment:

  1. Kathryn - so so glad to see how well Sebastian is doing. Keep up the good work! The nurses aren't joking about resting while you can ... trust me! Peter chose the night we stayed in the care-by-parent room to let everyone know that he was done with being put down, anywhere, ever ...

    ReplyDelete