Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Crazy Sleepless Weekend

This past weekend was one that I am glad is over. Sebastian had some issues with his breathing and had a fever again on and off. I spent most of my weekend in the NICU trying to figure out what was going on with my child (along with the medical team). After spending on average 5-8 hours a day in the NICU for the past 45 of 47 days I would think I know my child (also I listen to the nurses who look after him).

This weekend I had two shifts when Sebastian had nurses who had never cared for him before and did things differently. As I have been told they can never give you stats on what will happen with your child as "every child is different" (how many times have I heard that). So when I had a nurse who insisted on setting the isolet temperature at a higher level then Sebastian likes(or for that matter can tolerate) I became concerned. I explained about how he liked the temperature cooler to avoid a fever but this nurse did not listen to me and insisted on doing things her way. Sebastian has been running a fever on and off since birth and they are constantly taking blood or urine (via cathater). They put him on antibiotics and two days later take him off when they find nothing. The nurses who care for him on a regular basis just think that he is very hot blooded (like his father) and needs to chill in a cooler atmosphere. The main concern is that infection may set in so they can not ignore the elevation in temperature he gets at times. So we go through a regular routine of this. He may get a fever but when he is taken out and put on me to cuddle within 10 minutes his temperature is back to normal. This being said we had a weekend of ups and downs with everyone trying to figure out what to do. Final result...they are putting him on antibiotics for a week which should rule out any infection (or get rid of it). If he still gets temperature fluctuations then they are going to assume that my child just has hot blood at times.
So the conclusion of the weekend and after a two hour meeting with the head of the nurses is the following:
Sebastian will only be looked after by nurses who know how he copes with things. Two of the weekend nurses who did things I did not like will not be caring for him again. Last and most important they will not be loading him up with antibiotics after they run this course and rule out anything that may be infecting him. We have alot of ups and downs in the NICU and I have made the choice not to post most but this weekend was particularly trying on all of us.
I am thinking that things may look better after this because as they say "in the NICU it is two steps forward and one back". Time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment