Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Friend Leaving the NICU

I must say it was a bit of a shock today in the NICU. I have become close to one of the mom's (Amanda) who has a beautiful baby (Peter) in the NICU. Amanda is special because she had similar issues to me with her pregnancy and was admitted and stayed several weeks prior to having Peter. Amanda was my motivational angel. I was told about this woman (no name because of confidentiality)who managed to keep her baby in for several weeks. When I heard about her she gave me the hope that if she could do it I could. Over the last four weeks she has been a constant friend and means of support as we see each other often in the NICU (daily). If I don't see Amanda or her husband Mark you know that something is not right as they are constantly at the beside of Peter.
Today was a sad day as I entered the NICU I noticed that Peter's isolet was empty. Several things run through your mind when you see this. Either something has happened to the baby or the health of the baby has improved to the point that they have moved the baby to another hospital (level 2) or upstairs to the Noenatal Unit.

Peter was fine and had been moved to another hospital in the city. I had a note attached to Sebastian's isolet with her contact information. I was really happy for the family but felt a huge loss that I would not be seeing this wonderful family (at this hospital) again. I am so grateful that I could share my stress, concerns. Sometimes we managed to relax for a minute and let our guards down as we went through the same journey. I know that the time will come when Sebastian leaves the hospital and I know it will be sad for us as we leave what we have known for several months.

I will think about Amanda, Mark and Peter every time I enter the NICU. I know that the day will come when we are moved which means the health of our baby and his future is looking better.

No comments:

Post a Comment